Death be not proud
CHOICE OF WORDS
- The choice of separating the word “death” and making it bold is to emphasize the fact that the poem is about death.
- Capitalization and alignment of the words “mighty” and “dreadful” depict the quality of death.
- Change of font size between the phrases “bones will be buried” and “but the soul” to contrast worldly life (which is like an illusion) and the hereafter
- Making the word “Eternally” a single word with capitalization, bold and spaces in between the letters is to give the word a “divine” effect. It highlights the fact that life after death is perpetual.
- Furthermore in order to highlight the similarities between the “Eternity” and “death of Death” we used the same font and style for both.
Structure of the poem is shaped like an inverted triangle. The idea was to narrow down the reader’s focus as they progress down the poem. Even though the form of this version is more flexible than the sonnet structure we think that as the sonnet tries to accumulate the main idea of the poem in the last two line, the narrowed down structure inevitably performs the same task.
The words “Rest” and “Sleep” was integrated in a crossword style, in order to focus the reader more on those concepts and how it relates to the overall poem.
Creators : Ashen Hirantha , R. A. F. Hafsa
University of Colombo, Sri Lanka.